When following a ketogenic diet, it’s important to ensure the sauces and condiments you use align with your low-carb, high-fat eating habits. This guide will provide a list of keto-friendly sauces and seasoning options alongside those best avoided on the keto diet. Some will surprise you.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, meaning that we may earn a small commission if you click through using our link and make a purchase. Please be assured that this will not cost you any extra money. Also, please be assured that we either use the products we recommend personally, or have been recommended by trusted friends who currently use them.
Ketogenic Sauces and Seasonings
Explore these delicious keto-friendly sauce options you can safely enjoy without derailing your progress:
- Au Jus – This savory, rich sauce made from meat drippings is a perfect option for bringing flavor to your favorite meats and dishes. A low-carb delight, au jus is keto-approved and a great addition to any meal.
- A1 Sauce – A popular steak sauce that adds a tangy, robust flavor to your favorite cuts of beef, A1 sauce is keto-friendly approved with just a few carbs per serving.
- Ponzu Sauce – A tangy and flavorful citrus-based sauce that complements a range of dishes, Ponzu sauce is keto-friendly with simple, low-carb ingredients.
- Ortega Taco Sauce – Spice up your taco night or Mexican-inspired dishes with the keto-friendly Ortega Taco Sauce, which has a low carb count and packs a flavorful punch.
- Rice Wine Vinegar – This mild and slightly-sweet vinegar is perfect for adding flavor to dishes while keeping carbs low. Rice Wine Vinegar is keto-friendly and can be a great component in homemade keto salad dressings.
- Cholula – This is a great sauce for adding some zing to your meals, you will be pleased to know that cholula is keto friendly.
In addition to these keto-friendly sauces, there are also several seasoning options to enhance your meals without adding any significant carbs:
- Mrs. Dash – A popular and versatile no-salt seasoning blend that is keto-friendly approved.
- Adobo Seasoning – A flavorful and robust blend of garlic, salt, pepper, and other spices which is keto-friendly approved and perfect for seasoning meats, soups, and vegetables.
Those To Avoid
Although there are numerous keto-friendly options, not all sauces and seasonings are suitable for the ketogenic diet. Here are some to avoid or consume in moderation:
- Vodka Sauce – A tempting combination of tomato sauce, cream, and vodka, Vodka Sauce is not keto-approved due to its high carb content primarily from the tomatoes and sugar.
- Heinz 57 – A delicious and tangy steak sauce, but not keto-friendly due to its high sugar content and carb count per serving.
- Cream of Tartar – Although not inherently high in carbs, Cream of Tartar is not keto-approved since it is often used in recipes that require sugar or other high-carb ingredients.
- Dona Maria Mole Sauce– A rich and flavorful Mexican sauce made from a blend of chilies, spices, and chocolate, Dona Maria Mole is not keto-friendly due to its high carb content from sugar and cornstarch.
Additionally, these condiments should also be avoided or limited on a ketogenic diet:
- Relish – A popular condiment for hotdogs and burgers, most store-bought relishes contain significant amounts of sugar and carbs. If you’re asking is relish keto? The answer is, unfortunately, no. Opt instead for homemade low-carb pickles.
Wrapping Up: Keto Friendly Sauces [+Those To Avoid]
In conclusion, a successful keto diet relies on a clear understanding of which sauces and seasonings align with your low-carb, high-fat goals. By choosing from the list of keto-friendly options and avoiding high-carb alternatives, you can ensure your ketogenic lifestyle remains flavorful and satisfying.